FaceBook Group designed to discuss RAD issues and share tips!





Check out the discussion forum on our Facebook Group RADical Insight



If you wan to chat privately, email me at bl.merrifield@gmail.com


Thursday, January 27, 2011

I am the one dissociating....think on that a bit

I have been asked "how" "dude, you stay calm?" "why can't I stay calm and collected?" "are you medicated?". The answer is yes I stay calm, no I am not a robot and no drugs here. I am a walking, talking, normal (stop laughing) mom and sober (ok the glass of wine every now and again doesn't count).


*


So, wanna know my secret? Wanna know how I take one seriously violent demon possessed acting child and I RARELY (not going to say never because I am not perfect) yell or loose my cool?........
*
wait for it........
*
I am a master of dissociation. In fact I am so good I have my kid beat about 110 fold. Good for me right? I get through it, I cope I have this down pat. Not quite. By dissociating I am blocking myself off. I don't feel. This has very little to do with my child and more to do with my childhood. My RADs, the one I blog about nonstop, in particular. HE IS MY trigger. MY TRIGGER! I scour the scene looking for his triggers and about broke my neck when I tripped over my own.

*

Dissociation: Numbs the body to eliminate distress.

*
How many of you moms do the same? I gather we don't have much choice. Sadly, this is a coping mechanism, a safety measure and honestly, one I don't think I could parent my kids without.

1 comment:

  1. It's the only way I get through the day. Sadly it doesn't seem to be getting me any closer to their attachment. How can I ask them to attach to me if I am seperate(mentally closed off) from them in their most stressful time? It haunts me.

    ReplyDelete