FaceBook Group designed to discuss RAD issues and share tips!





Check out the discussion forum on our Facebook Group RADical Insight



If you wan to chat privately, email me at bl.merrifield@gmail.com


Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Help for a tired mom

Sometimes I am truly amazed by my own strength. Other times I wonder how I will push forward. This moment falls under the later of the two.



I feel like every parent reaches a point where they serious asked themselves if they are making a difference. Am I healing my child? Am I doing it right? Is my child healable? How much more will it take? Is he a lost cause? I hate these questions but I am comfortable enough in my own skin to vocalize them. I can’t answer those questions for you any better than I can for myself. What I can say is that HOPE is a four letter word. Look at it how you wish. For me the word seems to conjure more feelings than I care to deal with at this time.



Some days I stare out the window. I wonder and dream. I am not too numb that I have stopped dreaming, I just dream with more reality than I used too. My light seems little dimmer these days and it takes a lot of energy to pull my bootstraps up and carry on. My mom used to call me sunshine. “Her little sunshine”. I would walk in a room and light it up according to mom. Now, I would rather stand on a wall and pretend to be invisible. Being seen hurts. Being noticed and gawked at hurts more. Most of us put on a pretty good show for the normal parents but our exterior is not without cracks and flaws.



The past few weeks have been a nightmare. I doubt I can sum it up in a post. I will give you a brief overview and all I ask is for support, prayers and answers for resources if you have any. I am pressing on but I need help. I am not afraid to shout from the rooftops that I need help.



Hospitalization. Again. It was bad this time. He was kept for a week but it was not long enough. No behaviors, no treatment equals worn out parents. Med changes and he was sent back home for the weekend. The minute he got home he wanted to go back. No triggers, no chores, no nothing to do. He prefers institution life to his family. His entire stay away he never once asked about family. Never once asked about his brothers, the animals, school, nothing. He never asked to speak to us although I called religiously 3 times a day to see if he would talk.



Reality quickly set it. He wanted the institution over his family. All of my feelings of attachment and progress in his therapy that we have worked on tirelessly for the last year and a half went out the window. He has NO attachment at all. To anyone.



I’m tired and I feel like my pizzazz has slipped.



Since being home he has:


-attempted to jump out his window


-mutilated a fish (literally snapped it in half and laughed the strangest laugh we have heard)


-talk extremely sick about taking the little fishes’ life (while reeling in his joy)


-kicked his foot through a wall


-tried to slam his head into walls


-destroyed everything he can


-scream, yell, bully, curse and threaten everyone and everything


-beg to go back to the hospital


-forget everything (including wearing shoes 2 sizes too small)


-blaming EVERYONE for EVERYTHING


-scream for hours!!


-restless sleep (even though he is on a sleep med)


-attempted stealing



He is different since he came back this time. He looks different, acts different. I wish I could describe it.



If anyone out there has suggestions I am open. Please email me privately : bl.merrifield@cox.net There is so much to tell that I simply can’t post it all.



I try hard to leave my blogs with a positive note or something to hold on too. I can’t. I feel like every last ounce I have is devoted to safety .

10 comments:

  1. Brandy, hugs to you!! I have no wisdom for you other than to pray for wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Brandy! I am so sorry! My heart is aching for you. I have another friend in a very similar situation and she is expressing the very same concerns and feelings right now. I wish I could scoop you up and hug you!!!

    RE the comment you left on my blog. I LOVE sand tray therapy...for myself and for my kids. I've blogged about it several times. There's a label on my blog for it (sandtray therapy) You can also do a google search for articles about it. The only thing I do differently now than when I first blogged about it and explained the technique is that we dont' store the stuff in plastic bags. It didn't stay organized enough and things were still too hard to find. You really need to keep them really organized and always set up in the same way so the person doing they tray can find what they need and consistently know where it is. I now use primarily those letter size plastic drawers (3 drawers per bank) that you can get at places like walmart and target and a few shoebox size plastic bins to go with it. They work very well and store well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. *hugs*! I wish so much that I was closer and could help! Or at least show up with a bottle of wine once in a while. I am so sorry! I have no suggestions or ideas, but if you ever need to vent-- you know how to find me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toughest of times.

    During my training, they said that being in a family is just too stressful for some kids.

    I looked on your blog list, and this one wasn't there, maybe it might be helpful.

    http://www.theaccidentaladvocate.org/


    You can still be a mum to them if they don't live with you. If (and I'm not saying that it is) residential care is the best place for him, it's not because you have failed, or a bad mother or anything negative about yourself.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Support, prayers, and love to you. You are amazing. The only advice I can give you if he is getting worse with what your doing, do something different. After nine months of GB being manic and slipping in and out of psychosis, we changed shrinks and medication and she is stabilizing. A frank talk with your therapist about what he/she thinks he/she is accomplishing is a good starting point. I wish I was close enough to bring a bottle of wine over and tell you how awesome you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandy,

    I don't know you or your story well enough to think I might have any answers, but I did want you to know that I am praying for you. It is SO hard when you are in the pit (so to speak) and it certainly sounds like this is a time and circumstances that could lead down that path of discouragement and despair.

    In our experience, when despair seems near, you HAVE to do something to get help and restore your Hope (I know, you don't want to hear that word, but I don't mean it in the nice little "oh it will be o.k." kind of way). I'm talking Hope in the Lord's goodness and sovereignty and in what Christ has done for us - despite the circumstances we currently find ourselves in.

    I would love to talk with you via email or phone and pray with you or just listen to you vent and/or cry! Have you thought about actually calling Nancy Thomas or Karyn Purvis or Deborah Gray and seeing if you could get a phone interview and some "where to go from here" help?

    Call or email if you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say, my 7 yr old processes SO MUCH in the sand tray. Infact she usually scares herself playing and won't do it again for a month. It's crazy. I just saw someone elses post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just know that I love you and pray for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog. I, too, am the mother of a RAD child. So hard.

    My 9 y.o. daughter has been home for 3 years. Things are getting more difficult ... rages are escalating ... it is TOUGH.

    I am so very sorry for all that you are walking through.


    Laurel
    mother of 12: ages 9, 9, 11, 12, 14, 17, 20, 22, 22, 24, 25, 26

    ReplyDelete